Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ironing Board - Not Ironing Bored

A vintage tip for getting the pad on your ironing board to be tight & smooth (otherwise you actually press wrinkles into the fabric!), from a 1940's issue of Modern Woman magazine:


We don't do much ironing nowadays, but I have very vivid memories of my mom ironing around dinner time...

Sometimes she ironed while dinner was in the oven; other times, after we ate dinner. I remember sitting on the floor with my sister watching local news (very vivid memories because of Albert The Alley Cat!), while my mom stood ironing and talking with us about what we were watching. I often consider ironing again just for this reason.

In our household, we not only monitor what our children watch on TV but consider television less of a "passive entertainment evil" if our family is discussing what's on. (Sometimes this is part of educating them about what they are seeing; other times it's far more conversational.) If I were ironing, I'd be less bored out of my mind watching shows I do not enjoy but the kids do.

I would not dress like this -- nor did my mom! -- but who can pass up showing off this vintage ironing photograph from Life magazine? *wink*

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

I couldn't resist commenting about the picture:

My mother (born in 1936) and my older sister (born in 1954)BOTH dressed like that when they did the ironing LOL! We lived in central FL with NO air conditioning.

They didn't, however, take it outside...

Jennifer Galatioto said...

Ironing is such a dead art. I now steam a la cart and I usually do it near naked because whatever I am steaming is what I am going to wear. Take my photo and put me in time! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!!!....your reference to Albert the Alley Cat & Cartoon Alley certainly brought back memeories for me! I LOVED watching channel 6 news just for that reason when I was a child. :o) And yes, he DID butcher the pronunciation of more than a few words; it seems to me that he even had a creative way of saying Timmerman Field (where the official temperature for Milwaukee was taken).

Brenda

Anonymous said...

Some may feel squeamish about eating it, but rabbit has a fan base that grows as cooks discover how easy they are to raise — and how good the meat tastes.

Things Your Grandmother Knew © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*