Thursday, December 16, 2010

Contests To Win (And The History Of Winning Them)

When I spotted this latest contest (to win a designer tote bag), I wasn't sure I should post it -- I had just posted a few contests to enter. But then I was reminded of an old article I'd read about (and a dozen or so more written by) those who virtually made their living off of winning contests. Not just free products, but cash prizes writing jingles etc.

(I can't find any of those articles just now; unfortunately I just don't have the time to sort, catalog, organize, and cross-reference even just my vintage magazines... My blogs are kind of my way of doing so -- slowly. When I run across one of my own, I'll post it. Until then, this will have to do.)

But the whole idea of winning contests as a way to support one's self or one's family reminded me of the number of people who expect their computers and Internet connections to "pay for themselves." Especially in the early days of the world wide web.

I remember when I was pregnant with my son (now 10 years old), making the most of my 's physically exhausted self's time time by planting myself in front of the PC, searching for freebies, coupons, and rebates. I'd compare all that to the store flyers for sales and maximize every dollar with my shopping list. I was quite good at it. Once I got a 36 pack of double-rolled name-brand toilet paper not just for free, but the store paid me $2.36 to take it. And I paid less than $10 for the back-to-school supplies, including the calculator.

Aside from bragging (and chastising myself for not doing more of this now), I am reminded that this bit of thrift has an old history. And so I shouldn't ignore posting contests as I find them -- and the time to do so.

To that end, I will tell you that Ascending Butterfly now has a fantastic number of contests and giveaways going on right now.

And Online Sweepstakes is an incredible resource for those who want to add winning to their thrifty ways.

0 comments:

Things Your Grandmother Knew © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*